Friday, December 07, 2007

Of Yogyakarta


Yogyakarta, originally uploaded by jonolist.

I know the dangers of nostalgia but this morning i woke up with the feeling of something missing inside me that i can't describe. That need to go back.

Its been a full year since Jogja, i really miss that place. I miss the students and teachers at the university who had so much passion in what they were doing. i miss the food, the lovely simple food. I miss Borobudor and Sendang Sono, i miss the gang of us and the stupid games we played, i miss "racing horse" and that numbers game and quail egg forfeits. I miss Kampong Kali Chode and the vibrancy of life. I miss the walks to school, passing by the graffiti, the pet shop with the cutest pug ever. I miss Madam Surharti's Ayam Goreng. I miss Kotagede and its kids especially the small baby who by now i hope could walk around the pavilion we built together.

Its these memories that I hold dearly to me and i guess why they came back to me this morning was the sudden realization that many of the things i place highly important to myself this year have been misaligned, over emphasized and heck i think i veered off somewhere along the way.

So maybe thats the reason for nostalgia, it doesn't tell us what had before but reminds us of what you wanted then. Which if you think of it ain't half as bad as the seductive liar people put it out to be.

2 Comments:

Blogger L!an said...

my gosh.. it's so weird that just this morning I was telling XJ that around this time last year we were at Yogyakarta! i miss that place

9:01 PM, December 07, 2007  
Blogger Jon said...

wah...uncanny. suddenly i want to eat roti bakar.

10:45 PM, December 07, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home