Saturday, July 08, 2006

iamsingaporean

Damn I felt so Singaporean reading those iamsingaporean blog entries I felt like writing my own. inspired by the mrbrown podcast.

here's mine. Everyone who lives here should do one man.

I am Singaporean because I was born into the recession era of 1984 with a irregular heartbeat, the hospital in Toa Payoh took care of me well and according to the Army I'm PES B and not C9 dunnoewhatshit which i was supposed to be but I don't care cause I served the army well enough and met many blood brudders who suffered with me along the way.

I lived in HDB flats all my life, from a three room in Ang Mo Kio , four room in Bedok North and finally a Serangoon North maisonette. I consider myself one of the lucky ones but everything I have I owe to my parents who brought me up well. I still get allowance from them but I'll set that aside for a rainy day (considering the future recessions ahead ). I survive off the pay I earned in Army which is meager but I have fixed deposits and investment accounts like most young adults do.

Before kindergarten I only spoke Hokkien, then I picked up English from Sesame Street. I never went to nursery and I dropped out of piano class at grade two because I felt I had better things to do like watch Aksi Mat Yoyo and play zero point in the void deck. I am Singaporean because I grew up on old dragon-shape playgrounds and ceramic tiled merry go rounds. I went to Bishan park everyday to fly kite, even though the kite never really took off but I had fun. I watched Singapore play in the Malaysia Cup, it was the first few things that made me excited just by watching tv.

I never went to nursery, no tumble tots no blue pap uniform, mine was a gaudy white shirt and checkered red pants. Skipped TAF club even though I was overweight because I broke my arm in Pasir Ris park after I figured out two wheels were faster than three.

I studied in a snob boy's school for 10 years. I got in through affiliations from my church. Being the lower income family kid in a school where boys in shorts get chauffeured around in BMWs and Mercedes, I took pride instead of shunning away in my identity. I wore Bata shoes till i was 12, I used to wash them every Friday with a bucket and a brush, and on Saturday paint them with white kiwi as i watch the morning cartoons. I have no maid, I learn to cook from my grandma and I still remember the first egg i fried, with dau you and pepper.

I am Singaporean and born with a d**k so I had serve two and a half years in the army like i had no choice. There I increased my vocab in other languages other than english and the words "fuck you" "nabeh" were used as punctuations. I learn to shout and give orders in malay and finally figured the kiri and kanan. left and right. I am Singaporean because on March the 22nd 2005 i shouted ORD loh!

I am Singaporean and studying architecture in NUS, I call the Esplanade the Durian not because i think its ugly but more like an affectionate nickname. I walk the streets of Ann Siang, Chinatown, Little India and touch the dirty walls with paint peeling off revealing the wonderful and rich history of my island, something no museum or textbook can do. I think old HDB flats are beautiful, I can see myself living in one down at Tiong Bahru or the top floor of Bain Street where I can overlook the entire city with Raffles Hotel below me and still head back to that small but homely flat with dinner ready for me. I think the idea of the intergrated resort sucks but at least it was designed well. I worry that architects here now only do houses and small projects while we let supposedly famous foreign architects design (massacare, blotch and vulgarised would be better words) our supreme courts and libraries. I am Singaporean and I don't like people touching my soil with disregard.

I is Singaporean and i dun give a damn about the grammer or the englirgsh LANguage beaucse it is a time of waste, why say "please move aside" when "Siam!" would just do.

I am Singaporean because my favourite breakfast is kaya toast and two half boil eggs with jio cheng instead of dau you because the teochew in me likes it bland. I'll eat char siew pao for breakfast too because the hokkien in me needs more meat. I go for dim-sum in hawker centres cause their cheaper and the ones in Queensway or Marine Parade Neptune hawker centre do give Crystal friggin-expensive Jade a run for their money. I like the fact that I can combo my milo-peng with malay nasi lemak and indian roti prata and end it off with some Jui Kueh.

I am Singaporean and I hate the fact that people on Discovery Travel and Living try to teach people how to cook Singapore Noodles when in fact there's really no such thing, the only thing that comes close is hokkien mee so Kylie Kwong you better watch your cooking pan when you talk Singapore Food on TV.

I am Singaporean because my family has M1, Singtel and Starhub mobile plans signed up at different periods. I have a typical lowest deal Starhub cable Internet connection because I don't see the reason to pay anymore higher. Holidays consist mainly in the East Asia region because we can't afford to travel any further, not that I'll enjoy Florida's Disneyland either, I'll start to curse and swear at the entrance tickets. I'll swear male/female genitalia in a multitude of dialects of course.

I am an English speaking, c5 chinese, Hokkien brought up Teochew style who loves his Roti Prata, I am Singaporean because my pink IC says so.


pink ic, originally uploaded by jonolist.



Technorati tagged

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilarious about the Aksi Mat yoyo part.
ha.

10:02 AM, February 12, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home